Yes, it is true: there are so many documents you have to have to get married in Italy but this will be your only stress because you don’t have to think about anything else.

Your marriage will be supervised by a wedding planner who will think about all the aspects of your BIG DAY. But let’s see together.

American citizens must have a valid passport, birth certificate and a permission to marry (nulla osta). These documents must be translated into Italian and to be legal, the translation must be given by the Apostille stamp by the secretary of State in the State each document was originally issued, and then obtain an Atto Notorio from an Italian consul in the US.
This must been obtain and sworn by two witnesses.
When you finally arrive in Italy you will sign another declaration this time sworn by the Us consul in Italy stating there is no impediment to your marriage. Legalization of the Nulla Osta must be done by the office of the Prefecture.

For the Australian citizens is simpler. They must be 18, both free, true consent must exist, the relationship must not be a prohibited one.
The Australians marrying in Italy need a certificate of no Impediment, this certificate must be obtained. Australians have to fill out an application for Certificate of No Impediment to marriage form, witnessed by a Justice of the Peace, a consular official at an Au diplomatic mission overseas or an officer of the Department of Foreign affair and trade. Present your birth certificate. Present these documents to the marriage office of the municipality.

If you are both British, you must publish the Banns at your local registry office in England.
After 23 days of these publications of Banns the registry office releases a Certificate of Non Impediment.
The Certificate of Non Impediment will then be mailed by you with express courier (NOT regular mail) to the appropriate British Consulate or Embassy in Italy with payment of Nulla Osta fee.
If you have been previously married and are divorced you must include the “Divorce Decree Absolute”.
The following documents must also be presented to the British Consulate (also via correspondence) when you present your Non Impediment Certificate.
Certificate of Non Impediment issued by UK registrar
Long Birth Certificate issued by civil authorities, which must include names of both parents
Photocopy of passports (and bring passports with you)
Deed Poll (in case of change of name)
Decree Absolute of Divorce (in case of previous marriage)
Previous marriage certificate (for both!)
After some days the Consulate will release the necessary documents for you to marry (Nulla Osta). These will be sent to us via post and we will file them with the wedding hall.

Catholic requirements for marriages in Italy:
1.Formal letter on church letterhead from your parish, stating that you have fulfilled the Pre Cana procedures and granting permission for the wedding to be performed in the church of…
2.A letter from the Archbishop or Vicar of the parish stating the same, the priest can obtain it for you.
3.All certificate of baptism, first communion and confirmation sent together in the same envelope. Original of the marriage encounter with church seal signatures.
Seals and stamp from the parish office so that everything look correct.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s